Sunday, January 01, 2006

2005

Never thought I'll start 2006 writing a blog but then again, a friend said recently that blog so often that it's worth visiting once a year. So there you go. I'll start 2006 with a blog.

2005 has been quite a year for me. I'm hoping that 2006 will be even better, and sweeter.

Started 2005 fresh from the boxing day Tsunami Disaster and celebrated mildly. Daphne just asked me what we did last New Year's Eve and I can't even remember.

Mattheus, our first born son, came into our aims on the morning of Jan 21 and left us that very day some 3 hours later. Not the kind of start to the year you would want but the joy of fatherhood for that few hours is worth every moment. Can do without the pain we suffered but I've learned that everything comes in a package.

The subsequent few months gone by in a blur with us coming to terms and having Daphne going thru confinement.

Went for a break in Perth and Sydney, a much needed one, and came back feeling much better.

But something happened in Perth that is a story worth sharing.

I remember chatting with Daphne before we left about how nice it would be to have a massage or jacuzzi in Australia while we rest and sometime later, in our down times, she asked me if God has forgotten about us.

Anyhow, in our second day in Perth, we went up to Raphael's place near Mandura where he has a 100 arces farm that we stayed at. With big smiles he welcomed us in and suggested that we take a dip in his brand new jacuzzi.

Both Daphne and I smiled and as we soaked in there, Raphael kept coming back to see if we are okay and I noticed he kept smiling to himself.

Over dinner, Raphael shared about how he got the jacuzzi. Only two days old he said, he decided to purchase it only two weeks back. At the showroom, he choose a total of 28 different customised options (lights, colours, blow jets, wood grains etc) and off he went.

When he realised I was coming, he called the shop to see if they could deliver it earlier and knowing Australians, it's a long shot. As predicted, they said no and that his unit will only be ready in a months time. 2 days before Daphne and I arrived, Raphael received a phone call from the shop.

"You wouldn't believe it" the ownder said "someone with the exact same customised options (28 in all), just called to delay his shipment and I have a ready unit now if you want to receive it."

The jacuzzi came and 2 days later, Daphne and I were in it.

God works in very funny ways. This time round, I think He went out of the way to make a very big and obvious point to us that he never forgotten us. For that, I'm veryu grateful. Daphne never had that thought again.

The rest of the year were work as usual dominating the year with Young Leaders Days happening both in July and Nov with 3000 over students joining us. We've got a great team of volunteers (from 2 volunteers in 2003 to 68 in 2005!!!) going and Young Leaders Institute was formed.

I was sharing with Daphne that running YLF is like playing chess. You move your pieces into position for a certain strategy and then you move them in sequence to win. That's how I feel like. Almost all my pieces are almost in place and we just need to move the right steps forward.

In short, it was a great year for us at YLF. Funds raised could be better but, it's still a great year!

We had lots of time this year to catch up with friends, some long lost, and it was great being amongst friends and loved ones again. A luxury we seldom had that we learned to cherish.

Christmas, my favourite time of the year, arrived much faster than I thought. Lots of presents to buy (last minute yet again) and receive. Bought myself a digital piano which became Daphne's talking point for the rest of the year about the gadgets I own. Not that many in my opinion. :o)

Christmas has also become the time where my family gather at our house for a family dinner. A tradition that I hope will go on for a long time. It's great seeing Troy (my nephew) opening his presents and everyone having a good time. I think that's what Christmas is all about. A time where family enjoys being together. Sharing life and joy together. Just waiting for that day where we can worship together as a family. It will come. One day.

And just a few hours ago, Daphne and I were invited to the most expensive countdown dinner ever, $998 per person (all paid for .. phew!), and we ate our way thru a 10 course dinner and ended with dessert 10 mins before midnight. Gathering at the balcony over looking the harbour, and at the stroke of midnight, the "symphony in the sky" started with a magnificent fireworks display. It was really nice.

Fired at various locations around Mount Faber and Sentosa, the final ones were right above us and I kissed Daphne. It's not often you get to kiss your wife right under the fireworks and so I did.

That's how my year ended. On a very sweet note. And my prayer is that it will be even sweeter for 2006.

And how did I start the new year?

Well, I couldn't resist kneeling down and whispering "happy new year" to the little girl that is enjoying every moment in Daphne's womb. :o)

Happy new year!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home